Friday, March 11, 2016

Blogging Extravaganza #2: Inspirational Women In Fiction




Hello, wonderful readers! Welcome to the second day of this Blogging Extravaganza. Today we're talking about one of my favorite topic:


Inspirational Women In Fiction


I'm all for girl power, ladies and gentlemen, because let's be honest here: we need more of kick ass women in fiction.

Here are some of the women that I've seen on screen of that I've read about in books that inspired me: (Just as an FYI, some of the books/tv shows/movies I'll mention might not be PG-13, but will be dedicated to a mature audience)

  • Wonder Woman - Wonder Woman comic book series
Because not only did she kick tons of ass, she was a female superhero.
  • Hermione Granger - Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Because she showed me and tons of other little girls that it was okay to want to have good grades in school, that it was okay to wear glasses at a young age, that having brown hair doesn't make you boring, and that you can be smart, have your own opinions and be a main character without having to feel guilty for it.
  • Elizabeth Bennet - Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
Because she showed everyone that even though society tries to dictate how you should dress, how you should move, walk, talk, even what your hobbies should be, you don't have to bow down to nobody's rules but your own.
  • Jessica Randall - Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair
Because she showed readers that wanting something that's not the vanilla, old-fashioned missionary sex isn't a bad thing, that you're not "sick", "depraved" or "not normal" when everything is safe, sane and consensual between adults.
  • Buffy - Buffy The Vampire Slayer TV show
Because she showed viewers that being a female doesn't automatically mean that you're weak and in need of protection from a bigger, stronger male character.
  • Veronica Mars - Veronica Mars TV show
Because she took the horrific thing that happened to her at a party and turned it into a weapon instead of allowing others to shame her for it. Because she was smart and because she accepted to become friends with people who don't necessarily fit the description of "good guys" perfectly in the eyes of the society, but they were good friends to her.

I could probably go on a little bit more (I actually planned on it, tbh), but it seems as if my fever is back (did I forget to mention I'm sick? Because I have the flu from hell) and I need to get into bed, otherwise I fear the cold from this fever will make me have frostbite if I don't get warm and toasty.

What are some female characters that you love in fiction? Do share, please!


3 comments:

  1. Veronica Mars and Hermione Granger! Those ladies are bad-ass! Great list, Ruby.
    I also shared inspirational fictional women today on my blog for the challenge :)
    http://rachelwritesthings.blogspot.com/2016/03/get-up-offa-that-slump-inspirational.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big YES to Hermione Granger, and I would add Luna Lovegood and Molly Weasley yo my list, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire from Outlander is one of my favorites as an adult. I still admire Charlotte Doyle from The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...