Saturday, July 19, 2014

Book Review: The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead

Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines #4
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: November 19th 2013
My Rating: 4 cups
Blurb (from Goodreads):

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut were telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocked even her. . . .

But the struggle isn't over for Sydney. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there's still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposure — and re-education — looms larger than ever.

Pulses will race throughout this smoldering fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where no secret is safe.

I loved it photo Image10.png



You know, I was waiting for this book with my heart in my throat. I was almost scared to pick it up. I was sure at least one of the main characters will have a hard time during this book (because let's face it here, we are talking about a Richelle Mead book here). The ending wasn't surprising, what was a major surprise though was the person who caused the ending to be the way it was. I'm getting ahead of myself though.

I loved being in Adrian's head and seeing things from his POV. It was a fantastic change and I thought he sounded just the way I imagined he would. He saw the world the exact same way I believed he did. If possible, this book made me love him more. I also have to say I was very proud of him. I've seen a lot of readers angry at Rose when she broke his heart and I do understand their opinion, I really do. While I wasn't happy with the way things ended between them, because of Rose's actions, I think in the end, it helped him get to the point he is in this book. There's a scene that is stuck in my head, when he shocks everyone, including Lissa, his cousin, and Sydney that made me feel so damn proud of him. And it shows how much he's grown and it shows that not only did he want to change for Sydney, the woman he loves, but also for himself. 

Sydney also gave me a very good impression. There's such a huge change from when she was at the beginning of this series. She's more mature, she manages to think beyond what the Alchemists told her all her life. And I thought that was a great thing. Her only flaw? Her sister. I cannot stand Zoe. I would've been able to forgive her annoying attitude and just her entire presence in the story, but the ending and the role she played in it killed me. Now I'm 100% against her and I'd like to step inside the book and slap her into the next century if I could. Alas, I cannot do that *unhappy sigh*

It's weird, because after The Indigo Spell, I thought this book would be worth more than just 5 stars. I was sure it was going to require an entire galaxy for it's rating. Instead it left me a little... how do I put this? I feel like disappointed is too harsh. Maybe waiting for more? I was in shock by the ending, yes, but also, when I got to the ending  and to the very last page, it didn't exactly feel like the book gave me everything I wanted it to give me. Maybe I just got used to each book having more big moments. There were a few, but not enough for me to give it 5 stars. 

I'm also a little worried. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the gang will be able to rescue Sydney before any real damage is done to her mind and spirit, but I also have to wonder what will happen if they don't and if she'll have enough time to recover from this. I am excited for new adventures and for being able to see things from Adrian's POV again. Also, I'm already stocking up on Kleenex, because I'm sure I'll start bawling like a baby once I read those chapters and seeing him hurting and struggling to find the love of his life.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...