Monday, June 6, 2016

Obsessed With Covers #36: Wayfarer, As Old As Time, Frost Blood

Y'all know how much I love a pretty cover. I think about...40% of the books that end up on my shelves (be they physical or digital) do so because of the covers. Call me shallow but you have to admit that a pretty, shiny cover will catch your eye faster than a dull, boring one. Two, simple rules that I'll follow:


  • 1, 2 or 3 (no more than 3, though) covers per week;
  • books should be new-ish; no more than 2 years old.
Oh, before I share the covers that made me drool or want to stare at them for hours and hours, I have to say something. This is a semi-original idea. Why semi? Because almost every book blogger has something similar. The only thing I came up with was the title. If by any chance there's another blogger with a similar feature with the same title, I assure you I'm not stealing your idea. I'm just THAT bad with titles. Believe me, I'd love to be smarter and have a witty name for this feature, but I don't. So, no copyright infringement/theft/steal or anything of the sort was desired. All I can say is sorry :P

Photobucket

So, here are the prettiest covers I've seen this week.

If I loved the cover for the first book in the series, I completely adore the art for the second one. I love that the cover artist made the background a little bit darker, making it seem as if the characters will go through something really dramatic in this book. I also like the change in the art itself. If the cover for Passenger featured the image of a "captive" town, this time it seems as if the town, as well as its inhabitants, are free, while the people living in what looks like a rural, old setting, are being hold prisoners by something. I love that birds broke the glass, making it seem that there is some silver lining, but the image makes me think the road is long, and full of battles. I definitely need to read the first book, because just the cover arts are making me insanely curious about the story.


Wayfarer - Alexandra Bracken



I'm going to be completely honest with you and say I have a love-hate relationship with this cover. I love it, because makes me think that this is going to be a heartbreaking story. The fact that the rose looks so frail and that the Beast is barely just a shadow, while his castle looks like it's about to catch on fire, makes me think that him and Belle will barely make it out of their "twisted tale". At the same time though, I hate that the editor/publisher/the-powers-that-be decided to change the cover art style. Remember how the first two books featured the princesses' profiles? I understand that in this book Beast is probably the main focus, but they could have made the same style of cover art, showing his profile. I did notice there's an alternate cover art for the first book in the series, in the same style as this one, so maybe they gave up to the first art style. Meh. I'm still curious about this book though.

As Old As Time - Liz Braswell



While much simpler than the covers I usually like, this last cover is just gorgeous. I like the difference between the ice and the blood, I like how it makes it seem as if it takes a lot for red blood to flow, like it has to be a super powerful weapon to make a person with "regular" blood to bleed out. It makes me wonder what's so special about that icicle, and what it actually represents in the story. I also love the icy background. It's as if the ice is way more powerful than normal blood, which makes me even more curious about the book. I hope the letters from the title are embossed in some way, or that there's some sort of special effects for the final cover, because that would be so awesome.




Frost Blood - Elly Blake
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...