Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Book Review: A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2)

Author: Kresley Cole
Series: Immortals After Dark #2
Blurb: (from Goodreads)
A mythic warrior who'll stop at nothing to possess her . . .

After enduring years of torture from the vampire horde, Lachlain MacRieve, leader of the Lykae Clan, is enraged to find the predestined mate he's waited millennia for is a vampire. Or partly one. This Emmaline is a small, ethereal half Valkyrie/half vampire, who somehow begins to soothe the fury burning within him.

A vampire captured by her wildest fantasy . . .

Sheltered Emmaline Troy finally sets out to uncover the truth about her deceased parents -- until a powerful Lykae claims her as his mate and forces her back to his ancestral Scottish castle. There, her fear of the Lykae -- and their notorious dark desires -- ebbs as he begins a slow, wicked seduction to sate her own dark cravings.

An all-consuming desire . . .

Yet when an ancient evil from her past resurfaces, will their desire deepen into a love that can bring a proud warrior to his knees and turn a gentle beauty into the fighter she was born to be?


The second book in the Immortals After Dark series introduces the Lykae Clan with it's very sexy pack leader, Lachlain MacRieve. If you think Kresley Cole's vampires are sexy, wait till you meet the werewolves. Imagine Gerard Butler multiplied by hundreds. The Scottish accent, the strength, the alpha male vibe, all of it made me fell in love with Ms. Cole's werewolves.

Lachlain is the king of the Lykae Clan, so he's the ultimate bad boy, alpha male in town. After 150 years of imprisonment at the hands of the vampires, he senses his mate somewhere in Paris and escapes his bonds, even if that means severing his leg (I was happy to realize at this point, that werewolves regenerate ). Now for me that was more than just plain sexy. To endanger his life for a mate he hadn't yet met means that he would do anything for her, no matter what. And even after he realizes she's a vampire, he doesn't hurt her just to get rid of her, he protects Emma, trying to see the good in her. It also made me sad, because it meant that he truly was alone before he sensed her, even before he was captured by the Horde vampires.

What I found really maddening were Emma's insecurities. Would her aunts like Lachlain, would they have a problem with him being a werewolf, would they try to hurt him... Not once does she think "Hey, I like him, I'll take him as he is, if they don't like it, so be it!" The little confusion I was having ended when, at a more careful reading, I realized that the events in this book happen at the same time as The Warlord Wants Forever, at which point I understood that Lachlain was, in Emma's eyes, the first "enemy" to mate with a Valkirie. Still, Emma's insecurities bugged me a lot. I understood them, but I still wanted to shake her up a little bit.

This book, although not my favorite in the series, made me hungry for more IAD stories. The main reason I had this moment of "I'm going to read this series as fast as I can" thinking was because of Lothaire. This book introduces "the Enemy of the old", the mysterious bad vampire Lothaire.

But back to the book in question. I liked the fact that Emma finally got past her insecurities and her fears. I wish she would've done it sooner, but better late than never. I loved Lachlain and his entire pack. They all had that "larger than life" air. I hope we'll get more werewolf heroes in the future from Ms. Cole.


My Rating:

I loved it photo Image10.png
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...