Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Book Review: Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair

Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1)


Author: Cherise Sinclair
Series: Masters of the Shadowlands #1
Blurb: (from Goodreads)

Her car disabled during a tropical storm, Jessica Randall discovers the isolated house where she's sheltering is a private bondage club. At first shocked, she soon becomes aroused watching the interactions between the Doms and their subs. But she's a professional woman--an accountant--and surely isn't a submissive...is she?
Master Z hasn't been so attracted to a woman in years. But the little sub who has wandered into his club intrigues him. She's intelligent. Reserved. Conservative. After he discovers her interest in BDSM, he can't resist tying her up and unleashing the passion she hides within.

You know how sometimes a reader starts searching for that perfect type of character for a certain genre? I became one of those searchers of perfection when I found I liked erotic romance with BDSM themes. Let me define what perfection is for me. It's not that character that can do anything  and everything he/she wants, it's actually the character who has bad habits, who makes mistakes, you know the type, it's called "normal people".

So I was a very happy camper when I stumbled by a complete accident upon Cherise Sinclair's Doms. They are so not perfect and I love that, because they seem real. They have fears like real men, they mess up and they have those moments when the only thing you can do is say "Men!" and go on. And her heroines aren't the gorgeous bombshells that can wear anything they want. They might not be slim, but they are smart, hardworking women that have the same issues real life women have. And those are very good things. For me, anyway.

Club Shadowlands is the first book in the Masters of the Shadowlands series. We meet Master Z or Zachary, child psychologist by day, owner of the Club Shadowlands by night. Now, the fact that Master Z is a psychologist made me love him on the spot. It's very hard to find a book with a psychologist that's a Dom, you know? He's a very good judge of character, he is very good at reading people, he's very patient, he has a very strong sense of justice and he keeps his word. If you broke a rule, no matter how much he hates it, he's going to punish you for it. That's something the heroine, Jessica, found out really soon.

Jessica is a very curios woman. She's shocked by what she encounters at Master Z's club, but she's not scared into leaving and she actually likes some of the things she sees. Other things she sees make her turn into mother hen mode and protect the ones that she feels are in danger, making her break a few of the club's rules.  Jessica is also very impatient and I think Zachary helps her become the playful woman that she is later in the series.

One thing I loved about the book and the series in general: the way the lifestyle and the BDSM practices and rules are explained. I've read so far enough books to understand a bit about it, but usually all the things surrounding the subject is explained either very... shall I call it dry? I don't know, I just never had that feeling of complete understanding and usually some of the explanations feel copied from a sort of master book, a guide book, while remaining on the surface of the subject. I actually felt that Ms. Sinclair knows what she's talking about and the explanations felt real and they were very well mixed with the story.

There are four more books in the series, at this moment. With every book, the series improves more and more, the characters get more complex, more multidimensional, while staying very close to my concept of real. The sixth book is on it's way and I can't wait for it! I do believe I'll bite all my nails 'till that day comes. Oh well, I can always reread ;)


My Rating:
I loved it photo Image10.png
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...