Thursday, August 14, 2014

Book Review: Reaper's Property by Joanna Wylde (+18)

Author: Joanna Wylde
Series: Reapers MC #1
Publisher: Ellora's Cave Publishing Inc
Release Date: January 9th 2013
My Rating: 5 cups
Blurb (from Goodreads):

Marie doesn’t need a complication like Horse. The massive, tattooed, badass biker who shows up at her brother’s house one afternoon doesn’t agree. He wants Marie on his bike and in his bed. Now.

But Marie just left her abusive jerk of an ex-husband and she’s not looking for a new man. Especially one like Horse—she doesn’t know his real name or where he lives, she’s ninety percent certain he’s a criminal and that the “business” he talks with her brother isn’t website design. She needs him out of her life, which would be a snap if he’d just stop giving her mind-blowing orgasms.

Horse is part of the Reapers Motorcycle Club, and when he wants something, he takes it. What he wants is Marie, but she’s not interested in becoming “property of”.

Then her brother steals from the club. Marie can save him by giving Horse what he wants—at home, in public, on his bike… If she’s a very, very good girl, she’ll get lots more of those orgasms only he can offer, and he’ll let her brother live. Maybe.

A Romantica® contemporary erotic romance from Ellora’s Cave


Rocked my world photo Image9.png


When I first started to get curious about the motorcycle club culture Sons of Anarchy was about 4 seasons in, I think. I watched the pilot and I enjoyed it, but then stuff happened and I couldn't watch it anymore. Then after my exams at the beginning of the year I decided to start over with the show. Once I got into it I wanted to see if there were any books about that world and I stumbled on Reaper's Property.

I didn't think I was going to love it. I feel like I have to say that before I say anything else about the book. The MC club lifestyle and rules are so different from what I expected and from what I'm used to, that I didn't think I was going to enjoy the book. It was the same feeling I had when I first watched SOA. I am however glad that I started my journey into the MC branch of the romance genre with this particular book.

First, I loved how the story went from present to past in the first part of the book. I love it when an author manages to successfully juggle the two timelines without making them blurry or incomprehensible. And I love to get teased like that, because if it's done well, it keeps me hooked and it makes me want to finish reading. So that's what I noticed first about the book and what I loved.

Then there are the characters. Horse is not the type of hero I immediately fall for. Yes, he has the bike and the leather and the words and the attitude and all that, but it takes a while. At first he seems like a bad guy, a really bad guy, but then he surprises you. I love that with each chapter I got to discover him and understand his motives for acting in a certain way. Then there's the fact that he won't pussyfoot around a certain issue, nor will he beg for something that isn't going to happen. There's this heartbreaking scene between him and Marie where he's willing to give her everything he has and it's pretty clear that he's trying to make her understand his world and that's the scene when I finally understood him.

Marie is a normal woman that has had some issues in the past. She's a fighter though, she's not the type to rely on someone else to save her. She falls for Horse, but his world scares her a lot and it makes her see the violence that surrounds him more than the man. Which is completely understandable. I think I would've been disappointed had she accepted his world and the MC lifestyle with ease. So I liked that she does and says certain things that might seem hurtful (and even are) but when thinking about the danger element surrounding the Reapers MC and about her past makes them be the natural reaction I was hoping she'd have.

I think this was a very good book for a first book in a series. Oh, by the way, you have got to read the other books in the series. Man oh man they keep getting better and better. It's now an addiction for me :D So yeah, I'm anxiously waiting for the new book to come out, Reaper's Stand, which comes out in September *whines* But if you're a newbie to the MC world I say this is the perfect book to start with :D
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...