Monday, December 10, 2012

Book Review: Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

Author: Karen Marie Moning
Series: Fever #2
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: October 16th 2007
My Rating: 4 cups
Blurb (from Goodreads):

I used to be your average, everyday girl but all that changed one night in Dublin when I saw my first Fae, and got dragged into a world of deadly immortals and ancient secrets. . . .

In her fight to stay alive, MacKayla must find the Sinsar Dubh—a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over the worlds of both the Fae and Man. Pursued by assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she can’t trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and powerful men: V’lane, the immortal Fae Prince, and Jericho Barrons, a man as irresistible as he is dangerous.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them.

I have to start with a confession. I probably would have given this book a very different rating. But, being the curious little creature that I am, I was checking out some discussions on this series and I found out that there's a short story called The Alpha Alternative: JZB Sex Scene. Because I'm me, I had to check it out. And I did. While I wasn't very impressed by it (I wanted the dirty details, what can I say? *shrugs*) it helped me see Barrons in a very different light. So, even though we get the events from Mac's POV, I know that there's always something else behind Barron's behavior (usually his tendencies to act like a jackass). So yes, he's not as bad as he seems or like he wants Mac to believe. He's still a mystery to me, but he's not so... insufferable as before.

Mac is as sarcastic as ever and I like that about her. Sarcasm is always good in a character. And I like that she's still scared of the world, even though she knows what's out there. But there's something else I see in her. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. She seems a little... naive at times. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's the feeling I get. But yes, I do like her all in all.

Besides that, I liked that there's more mystery surrounding the world. I liked that there's also more darkness and more tendencies towards horror than in other paranormal books. It's one of the reasons why I like the series. Oh, I still don't know what to make of some of the things that happened, and V'Lane still gets on my very last nerve, but the horror, the frightening feeling some of the scenes have are what keep making me want to go on with the series.

Speaking of V'Lane, I know a lot of you like him and I've had people telling me to be patient, that eventually I'll get to liking him. I'm still waiting for that to happen. Honestly, I have yet to see something "likeable" in him. Maybe his "death-by-sex fae" status is what makes my expectations so high? I don't know, but I have yet to like him. He actually made me want to smack him in one scene in this book.

If you asked me if you should read this short scene before going on with the series, I'd say I have no idea. I know it changed my perspective. It depends on how you saw the first book and how you want to go on seeing the characters. I don't have an honest answer, but I do know that my view of Barrons is a lot changed. And I know that I will keep reading the book.


I loved it photo Image10.png
Familiar waters photo Image19.png
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...