Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fall Into Reading : Weekly Question (#2)



Fall Into Reading is a reading challenge hosted by Katrina at Callapidder Days. This week's question for the Fall Into Reading challenge is:


Is there a book that has had a tremendous impact on your life? One that made you look at life in a whole new way, or caused you to completely change something in your life?




There isn't a book that has changed the way I view world but there is a book that changed my life, so to speak. I was a very lucky kid and teenager. The reason for my luck was that my parents never bugged me about my reading - or lack of it. They never forced me to read, not even the books the teachers wanted us to read at school. If I was to read a book, it was because I felt the need to read. So they pretty much let me discover the world of books on my own. I won't say I'm very proud of my younger self and my "fear" of reading, because I'm not. But like I said earlier, I discovered it alone, without being forced into it.

I had already read Harry Potter, and a few other books before that, but they weren't enough to convince me to read. They never were. So a year after reading Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone a friend from school convinced me to try Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I had already seen the movie The Fellowship of the Ring and he swore to me the book was better than the movie. I finally decided to try it about three or four months after seeing the movie. The trilogy represented a lot of firsts for me at the time: the first book I've ever bought for me, from my savings, the first big book (or books) I've read until that point, the first book I read in about two weeks. And it also made me realize that the world of books was a fascinating one and a world that was worth exploring.

So that's my story. What book changed your life or your view on world?

There's also a bonus question this week:


How is your Fall Into Reading coming along? Are you on track? Ahead of schedule? Falling behind?

Well...*sheepish* I'm a little behind. I've read more than I had in min, that's not the bad part. The bad part is that out of the books I wanted to read, I only read one. I still have time, and I intend to use that time reading only the books I wanted to read. I'm also about 30 books behind my annual reading goal, so I have to get on track here. I can say that I honestly have no real reason for falling behind on the Fall Into Reading challenge.

How about you? How's the challenge going?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...