Monday, September 11, 2017

Obsessed With Covers #42: Coming Home To Island House, Summer At Coastguard Cottages, Christmas At The Dancing Duck

Y'all know how much I love a pretty cover. I think about...40% of the books that end up on my shelves (be they physical or digital) do so because of the covers. Call me shallow but you have to admit that a pretty, shiny cover will catch your eye faster than a dull, boring one. Two, simple rules that I'll follow:


  • 1, 2 or 3 (no more than 3, though) covers per week;
  • books should be new-ish; no more than 2 years old.
Oh, before I share the covers that made me drool or want to stare at them for hours and hours, I have to say something. This is a semi-original idea. Why semi? Because almost every book blogger has something similar. The only thing I came up with was the title. If by any chance there's another blogger with a similar feature with the same title, I assure you I'm not stealing your idea. I'm just THAT bad with titles. Believe me, I'd love to be smarter and have a witty name for this feature, but I don't. So, no copyright infringement/theft/steal or anything of the sort was desired. All I can say is sorry :P


This week's Obsessed With Covers post will be all about vector art. You might not know this about me, but for a while there I dabbled into making really rudimentary, slightly bad-looking vector illustrations, which gave me an appreciation for really beautiful illustrations. Add to that the fact that I've always loved cartoonish/illustrated cover art, so it's no wonder my OWC posts will include this type of covers. So, without further ado, here are the prettiest covers I've seen this week.

This is such a pretty cover. I love the tiny details on the lake, just like I love the wisteria on the edges. Actually the wisteria gives the illustration the air of mystery, like you have to search for this island house somewhere in a place where you wouldn't normally find a house. I also adore the vintage car coming up on the driveway. I love vintage cars, and it makes sense that that's the car that should have been used for this illustration. I feel like any other model would have been out of place with the feel of the illustration. I am curious if there are two people in that car or if my eyesight is really that bad, and if there are two people, I wonder which one is doing the "coming home" part.





Coming Home To Island House - Erica James



This cover art makes me think of a little beach resort, that opens just for the summer season. Yes, I know, that kind of sounds very similar to the Kellerman's resort from Dirty Dancing, but can you blame me? It's the perfect summer vacation that I can think of. I love that most vector illustrated covers have some form of design on the edges, be it flowers or whatever, and it gives them this air of... how do I put it? Like the rest of the picture is hidden away, like a little corner of the world where no bad things can happen, and the people in that corner are protected from the outside world. That's what this image makes me think of. Also, those little birds flying just over the water add a sense of movement to the entire illustration. I can just imagine hearing the waves crashing on the shores, the birds singing and the smell of sea in the air. I now want for summer to come back, as well as to read this book ASAP.



Christmas themed books are starting to appear and I couldn't be happier, because that means pretty Christmas illustrations too. I love the ribbon used as a background for the author's name, I love the decorated trees, the snowflakes, the people playing in the snow, basically I love this cover. I also love the tagline, "A perfectly festive romantic read", as I feel that this is the perfect illustration for a Christmas postcard. I'm very curious if this pub, The Dancing Duck, is like any other character in the book, if somehow the pub is not only the location, but somehow much more important than simply offering the perfect setting from a winter romance.





Christmas At The Dancing Duck - Daisy James


What about you, fellow bookworms? Did you find any pretty covers lately?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...