Monday, May 14, 2018

Book Review: Revenant by Larissa Ione

Author: Larissa Ione
Series: Lords of Deliverance #6, Demonica #12
Audience: +18
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Release Date: December 16th 2014
My Rating: 5 Cups
Source: My Copy
Blurb (from Goodreads):

HELL HATH NO FURY . . .

For five thousand years, Revenant believed he was alone in the world, a fallen angel beyond any redemption. Now he finds he has a twin brother who had all the light and love Revenant was denied. Caught in a tug of war between Heaven and Hell, he must weigh his thirst for revenge against his desire for a mysterious female named Blaspheme—a female whose very origins could deliver him into salvation . . . or destruction.

LIKE AN ANGEL SCORNED

Blaspheme has a deadly secret: she's the forbidden offspring of an angel and a fallen angel. Hunted by both heavenly and satanic forces, she has survived only by laying low and trusting no one. When Revenant claims he can save them both, how can she possibly believe him? But the powerful angel is persistence incarnate and for Blaspheme, there's no place she can hide in Heaven or Hell where he won't find her . .
*Disclaimer: This book contains mature content. As a result, my review may contain references to content intended for mature audiences only.

I finally did it, guys, I finally read this book. I've been afraid to dive into this book even before it came out, mostly because at the time that it was announced, Revenant was supposed to be the end of the world of the Demonica world. And as you know, I don't handle the ending of a series gracefully. So I put it off, until I could get the courage to read it. And let me tell you, the wait was sooo worth it!

Revenant was everything I wished him to be and more. He was the complete opposite of his brother, Reaver, which made for a very interesting read. Where Reaver doesn't give a damn about rules, Revenant - due to a really bad, horrific childhood - will do anything to not bend them. Where Reaver acts first, thinks later, Revenant has been forced to learn to think first, act later. While every time their memory was erased was due to something Reaver did, Revenant was just a spectator, being punished for something he didn't do. This doesn't mean Reaver is bad, or that I think less of him after reading this book, it just means that it made me really think about why one brother is in Sheoul, while the other one is in Heaven. While the answer doesn't change Revenant's past, it certainly makes a few things a little bit clearer and it makes me interpret certain moments from the story in a different light.

Revenant isn't your typical hero. He's more of an antihero, he's the guy who, in any other circumstance, wouldn't get a book, he wouldn't get a happy ending. Which is why I loved this book so much. Because it showed, once again, that just because you're on one team, doesn't mean you're all good or all bad. Ever since the previous book, Revenant has been struggling with all those memories that keep assaulting him, things that some higher forces decided he needed to forget. So I understood why he was so angry, why he was so hateful at times towards his brother. The only person who made him calm down a little bit was Blaspheme, a woman he knows is not what she wants the people around her to believe. I liked seeing how they worked together, I liked how Revenant discovered that there it something out there more important than the rules he so painfully learned he needed to follow.

Blaspheme was a special kind of heroine, one who has been forced to hide her true self. I now wonder if, in the spin off series, her species will have a more important role to play. I can't say I liked the fact that it wasn't until the very end that her secret was revealed to Revenant, instead of she herself telling him the truth, but I understood the why behind it. I understood what made her not confide in him. I also loved her inner struggle with what she was supposed to do in order to keep living safely.

We get to see most of the major players in this series work together in order to win the battle against Satan, Lucifer and Gethel, and what a ride, guys! Those final scenes do not disappoint. And the last couple of scenes with the Horsemen and Revenant made me tear up, because finally, finally Revenant gets to have what he deserved from the very beginning: love.

I wasn't ready to read this book four years ago for a number of reasons, but one of them was because I had so many high expectations. After reading it I know that even if this was the very last book of the series and there wasn't talk about a spin off with the next generation of demons and angels, Revenant is the most perfect series ending I've ever read. It perfectly answered all my questions, it neatly tied up all the loose ends, while also leaving room for my own interpretations and hopes and dreams for the whatever it is that could happen after that final phrase. Final phrase which, by the way, made me weep, it was so beautiful.

If you haven't yet tried this series, you need to do it, because this is truly one of the best paranormal series I've ever read. Because doing a little investigation on certain elements of this book, I can only imagine the amount of research that went behind each detail. So if you're a fan of adult paranormal, go ahead and pick this series up, you won't be sorry.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...