Friday, May 22, 2020

Reread Book Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead


Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines #3
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date:  February 12th 2013
My Rating: 4 Cups
Source: My copy
Blurb (from Goodreads):


Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do.

Then she finally tracks down the elusive, enigmatic Marcus Finch - a former Alchemist who the organization denies exists, and who lives in shadows, on the run. With Marcus's help, Sydney realizes that the group she's been loyal to her whole life has been hiding the truth from her. Is it possible that her golden lily tattoo might have more power over her than she thinks?

As she struggles to come to terms with what that might mean, Sydney is compelled to use her growing magical powers to track down an evil magic user who is targeting powerful young witches. Using magic goes against everything she always thought she believed, but she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her special blood - or else she might be next.


Forging her own way is harder than Sydney ever dreamed. Maybe by turning off her brain - and following her heart - she'll be able to finally figure out where she belongs.

Jamsu and I are continuing out buddy reread of the Bloodlines series and we're getting close to the end. I am not ready, people, I just need to say that right now.

The one thing I'm happy about regarding books 3 and 4 is that I barely remember anything from my first time reading them, so I don't have to worry about the fact that  know what's coming. I've had a few of those "Oooooh, nooooo, this is happening" moments in the previous two books, but not this time, which made me feel a bit more relaxed while reading The Indigo Spell. I also went over my previous review of the book, that you can read here, and I have to say that for the most part, I still feel the same way. In some ways, however, my opinions have changed. Let me tell you all about it.

I still love the way Sydney has grown over these books. The series starts with a Sydney terrified of everything vampire, while now she is starting to understand that there are shades of grey in the world, that humans aren't always good while the vampires aren't always bad.She's starting to see underneath the façade of "good organization intent on keeping humans safe from night crawlers" that the Alchemists have been showing everyone, and is seeing a group of people with just as many problems as every other group, if not more. She's starting to question things, and just like the first time I read this book, this is when I'm starting to really love Sydney.

Adrian is growing so much, and I adore the man he's turning into. He is taking steps to change, but not because he's trying to impress a girl, but because he likes who he is with Sydney. As before, he's the one that makes much more sense in certain situations than some of the rest of the characters. I forgot how angry he was because of both Jackie and Marcus, on Sydney's behalf, and I loved seeing it.

I have to adjust one thing regarding my previous assessment of the book. Because I remember what happens with a certain character, I am now not hating Angeline as much as I used to. Zoe however, Sydney's younger sister, is the one I truly hate. Angeline is a product of her upbringing, while Zoe is just mean.

I still think the villain of this story was a bit disappointing, but I was more focused on the learning process that Sydney goes through, than her trying to find the bad witch, so I wasn't as focused on the bad guy all that much. I was more focused on the journey this time, to be honest.

From the next book I remember very little, again, so I'm excited to see what happens next. As always, please go and check out Jamsu's review of The Indigo Spell as well.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...