Monday, November 24, 2014

Obsessed With Covers #16: China Dolls, City of Eternal Night & Made You Up

Y'all know how much I love a pretty cover. I think about...40% of the books that end up on my shelves (be they physical or digital) do so because of the covers. Call me shallow but you have to admit that a pretty, shiny cover will catch your eye faster than a dull, boring one. Two, simple rules that I'll follow:


  • 1, 2 or 3 (no more than 3, though) covers per week;
  • books should be new-ish; no more than 2 years old.
Oh, before I share the covers that made me drool or want to stare at them for hours and hours, I have to say something. This is a semi-original idea. Why semi? Because almost every book blogger has something similar. The only thing I came up with was the title. If by any chance there's another blogger with a similar feature with the same title, I assure you I'm not stealing your idea. I'm just THAT bad with titles. Believe me, I'd love to be smarter and have a witty name for this feature, but I don't. So, no copyright infringement/theft/steal or anything of the sort was desired. All I can say is sorry :P

Photobucket

So, here are the prettiest covers I've seen this week.

This cover reminds me so much of those old photos I see from the 20's and I love it for that. I adore the fact that the background is sort of foggy and you can't really see that bridge. I wonder why. You know me, I'm all about figuring out if the cover fits the book. The model fits the title, if you ask me. Not only is her makeup really beautiful, her clothes remind me of the clothes of a china doll. So I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with that.








China Dolls - Lisa See

I think you guys know by now how obsessed I am with cartoonish covers, creepy covers and beautiful dresses. So if a cover has all those three elements together, you get awesomeness and an excited puppy called Ruby *points at self* Let's start with the dress, shall we? Her corset is made of leaves. I love that! And the gold and green colors blend together so well and it makes her stand out against the dark, creepy background. Why creepy? Well, you have the full moon (love!) and the tons of beads that hang from the tree and they remind me of Mardi Gras (would love to see it one day) and of spider webs. Not to mention those black thingies below her elbow which look like bats to me, but I may be wrong. And the entire city is dark violet. And her eyes are scary, because I barely see her pupils. Okay, I'll shut up now.


City of Eternal Night - Kristen Painter


This cover is very, very different from the other two. First, it reminds me of a Rorschach test. And after reading the blurb, I applaud the cover artist for making it like this, because it fits perfectly with the idea of this book. It isn't a happy cover, it kinda hints to a very serious, sad, incredibly heartbreaking story, yet it still gives me hope that there's going to be a happy ending in there somewhere.









Made You Up - Francesca Zappia


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...