Monday, March 14, 2016

Blogging Extravaganza #3: The Unpopular Book Tag





Hello all and welcome to our third day of Get Up Offa That Slump Blogging Extravaganza! I hope you all had a great weekend.

For today's challenge we had to choose between talking about what-ifs, specifically "If I were a fictional character", or we could do a book tag. Since I wanted to talk about books more than I wanted to talk about me, I decided to do a book tag. So, without further ado, I give you The Unpopular Book Tag, created by booktuber The Book Archer.


1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like

Oooooh boy!

Sorry, guys! As you might remember, I enjoyed the first half or so of the Clockwork Angel, but then I ended up with a 3 star review. And I tried to read City Of Bones, but I couldn't get past a well-known trope that I'll talk about on another question in this tag.








2. A popular book or series that everyone seems to hate but you love

I've seen tons of mixed reviews for The Witch Hunter on Goodreads. I'm not saying everyone hates the book, but a considerable amount of book bloggers that I follow don't give this book a higher rating than 3 stars.




3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with OR an OTP that you don’t like

Would you believe me if I told you that the answer to this question is NONE? Honestly, there aren't any couples I'm not happy with. And the only OTPs I don't like are usually from the books I end up DNFing. Not because I seek out to hate that couple, but just because by DNFing the book, I end up not finding out why those characters work together, why they fell in love with each other.

4. A popular book genre you hardly reach for

Sci-fi. I realized a few days ago, as I was marathoning the first season of The 100 that I don't read sci-fi as much. I plan on changing that this year. Do you guys know any good sci-fi books? Share in the comments if you want :D

5. A popular or beloved character you don’t like

I struggled a lot with this question. Mainly because again, it's pretty difficult to pick a character that I don't like in a book that I finished reading. Even Snape manages to somewhat win me over, even if he did act like a giant ass half of the times for no apparent reason other than Harry being James Potter's son. I would probably say Snape, but again, even he manages to sometimes persuade me to like him just a tiiiiiny little bit.

6. A popular author that you can’t get into

Stephen King. I just can't...

7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing (examples: lost princess, corrupt ruler, love triangles)

This is the trope I said I was going to talk about. Pretty girl means bitchy shrew. I swear to the book gods, if I read about the pretty mean girl one more time, I'll scream. Why is it that even now, in the so-called modern age, we have this trope? Why do we try to make beauty a symbol for pettiness, and internal ugliness? Why can't we just have a pretty and good girl? I'm sick of the two things being mutually exclusive.

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading




*long sigh* Here's the thing. I'm not saying this book is not a worldwide phenomenon, because it is. In fact, it's been one of those books, the ones who managed to change thousands of people and turned them into avid readers. Which is great, because I do believe that books are among man's greatest inventions ever. But I personally can't get past the sparkling. I know, you'll think it's childish on my part. And maybe it is. But I don't want my vampires to sparkle. Or to inspire unhealthy obsessions, if the books are anything like the movies in that department.



9. The saying goes “the book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?


It's not that I prefer it to the book, but you gotta admit that Colin Firth playing Mr. Darcy makes the classic Pride and Prejudice a lot better than it was. The book is fantastic, but then there's Colin Firth.

That's it for today's Blogging Extravaganza, guys! I hope you enjoyed it. I can't wait to see what the other participants wrote about.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...