Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday #11: Books You Read Because of Recommendation


Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.


I'm very sure of the fact that about 75% of the books I've read so far, I've read because of recommendations from other people. So without further ado, here are 10 books I read because of recommendations.

1. The first one that comes to mind is Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I remember I was in middle grade, and the first movie came out and everyone, I mean EVERYONE in my class went nuts. They saw the movie, and then Enya was their favorite artist and I got curious. About a year after that, one of the boys in my class convinced me to watch the movie and then to read the books, and that has been the best decision ever, because I just love Tolkien.

A photo posted by Ruby Jo (@rubys.books) on


2. I read Castillos de cartón by Almudena Grandes because of a high school friend. I think the title translates into Cardboard Castles, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if there's an English translation of this book, but there should be, because this book is amazing. I still get teary eyed when I think of the ending of the book, with two of the characters getting in the car and trying to move on with their lives. It's one of those books that I've read once, but it's burned into my memory forever. I blame Emily, the girl who convinced me to read it, for my obsession with this book, and I'll never forget when and where we were when she first convinced me to read it. Seriously though, thank you, girl!

3. I've told this story a hundred million times, but I'll say it once again: I owe my love of urban fantasy/paranormal romance to a university colleague, who got me into reading Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris.

4. Can You Keep A Secret by Sophie Kinsella was a recommendation from Emily's classmate, Dia, and, like with Emily, I cherish that memory. Dia has been trying like hell to get me to read Game Of Thrones, so I'm thinking I'll probably soon just give up and read it. After all, this next book on the list (and subsequent auto-buy author) is due to her, as well.

5. Is there a bookish list of mine complete without Marc Levy? Spoiler alert: no, it isn't! My friend Dia convinced me to read If Only It Were True by Marc Levy around the time the movie, Just Like Heaven, with Mark Ruffalo and Reese Witherspoon, came out, and I've loved Levy's books ever since.

6. Harry Potter. I got to read this book because of a really good friend of mine, whom I've known since elementary school. He gave me the subway version of the elevator pitch, made me watch the movie, and convinced me to read and love the books.

A photo posted by Ruby Jo (@rubys.books) on

7. I read Women Of The Otherworld because of Carmel from Rabid Reads.
8. The Grisha trilogy was recommended to me by so many people, it's really difficult to pinpoint exactly who had the definitive role in convincing me to read it. I am convinced that Meredith from Pandora's Books had something to do with it.
9. I can't remember who convinced me to read ACOTAR, but thanks! I probably would have waited years before reading it, because apparently that's my style LOL
10. The most heartbreaking book I've ever read, Invitation to Waltz, was recommended to me by my dad. Now, over the years, he's recommended many books to me, with varying degrees of success, but this one is very special to me. Just think about it, my dad got me to read my first romance book. Sure, it doesn't have a happy ending, but it's still pretty special to me.

What are 10 books you read because they were recommended to you?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...