Sunday, March 15, 2020

Reread Book Review: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead


Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Vampire Academy #5
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date:  May 1st 2010
My Rating: 3 Cups
Source: My copy
Blurb (from Goodreads):
After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri's birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir's and to her best friend, Lissa. It is at long last graduation, and the girls can't wait for their real lives beyond the Academy's iron gates to begin. But Rose's heart still aches for Dimitri, and she knows he's out there, somewhere.

She failed to kill him when she had the chance. And now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and now he is hunting her. And this time he won't rest until Rose joins him . . . forever.
My buddy read with Jamsu @ Jamsudreams of the Vampire Academy series continues. I have to say that so far, this has been the most disappointing reread out of the entire series. Let me tell you all about it!


If in the previous books I liked Lissa and Rose's friendship, it's only now that I can clearly see how this relationship makes Rose become someone I don't quite like. Lissa is very much in her own bubble, and I'd go as far as to say she was a bit selfish, while Rose goes back to being overly reckless and angry.

Part of Rose's anger is due to Lissa using spirit, but part of it I feel is just being near her childhood friend. Rose does not care about who gets hurt in her quest to either save or kill Dimitri, which is a very different situation than where she was at in Blood Promise. In the past, she went to Russia by herself, with only Adrian's money to keep her company, so to speak. Now, because she promised Lissa not to leave her behind this time, she just does not care. And there are potentially many people that can get hurt due to what they're planning on doing in order to catch Dimitri. I didn't like this side of Rose. When I first read this book I wasn't truly focused on the little details that I was able to notice now, so I didn't initially have an issue with how Rose behaved, or with Lissa in general.

Once again, I was a fan of evil Dimitri more than post-Strigoi Dimitri. Evil Dimitri is honest about how evil he is, and about what he wants, while after his soul is restored he's just... not even the god he was before he was turned. I thought at first he was bonded to Lissa, because of how he behaved. And I understand, he remembered everything he did while he was Strigoi, but I can't help but think he should have been truly grateful to Rose for trying to save him.

Like during my first read, I can't help but feel like Adrian's feelings are not... fully honest. I don't remember much about Bloodlines, so I don't know what changes, but I feel like his feelings toward Rose are more influenced by his sexual attraction to her, as well as Spirit forcing him to notice her. I think that the fact that Rose is bonded to Lissa is what makes Adrian notice her, and I don't think he truly loves her.

The only character I truly loved reading about was Christian. He's the one that didn't disappoint or made me want to shake violently.

I have to say that Spirit Bound took the longest to read so far. I think in part is because I've been reading these books pretty close together, and since this isn't my first time reading them, I've focused on other details than just the story line. I am however ready to finish reading Last Sacrifice so we can finally read Bloodlines. I need my Sydrian fix.

Don't forget to check out Jamsu's review of Spirit Bound on her blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...