Friday, December 16, 2011

Book vs Movie: Harry Potter

Two posters, one with photographs and the other hand-drawn, both depicting a young boy with glasses, an old man with glasses, a young girl holding books, a redheaded boy, and a large bearded man in front of a castle, with an owl flying. The left poster also features an adult man, an old woman, and a train, with the titles being "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". The right poster has a long-nosed goblin and blowtorches, with the title "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone".
The first memory I have of the world of Harry Potter was my desk-mate from school telling me how I had to read the books, how Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was a brilliant movie and that I had to see it. I also remember other friends of mine constantly talking about the movie and the books and how I tried really hard to stay away from it all for some reason. I also remember being bribed into watching the movie and how I loved it and begged my friend and desk mate to let me borrow the first book to read it. About a year later or so the fourth book was published and I remember how excited we all were about reading it and making plans and trying to do our homework in class to have more free time at home to read. And those crazy moments of reading under the blankets with a flashlight because it's far past your bedtime and you just know you're going to get grounded if you're caught reading instead of sleeping at 2 a.m. LOL
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)

I won't go on and on about my memories and feelings about the books, just to say that this book did change my life: it made me love reading. So I am grateful I had the luck of being nagged by my friends to read it.

When the 7th book was published, everyone I knew "vanished" for a couple of days. They were all reading the book. I was actually scared, wondering who was going to die, and so I didn't read the last book for an entire year. Then finally I read it and I wasn't at all disappointed with the ending. I think the ending was great.

I was curious about the last two movies. I have to say I was very happy when I found out they were going to split the last book into two movies, because I thought (and it was true) that this way, they would make the book justice.




The "good" part about this wonderful series (both movies and books) ending is that you can now do either reading marathons or movie marathons, which I already did *blushes*. The bad part is that you know it ended and I do believe it never will be the same, no matter how many times you see the movies or read the books, you don't feel that anticipation of not knowing. Before the 7th book, every time I reread the books  I didn't like Snape at all, but now, knowing the truth about him sort of changes my perspective. And with most of the characters is the same.

There are a few things I wished the movies had. First of all, Peeves. I liked that poltergeist, I think he was very funny and entertaining. I would've loved to see the Sorting Hat singing too. I could go on and on, but then this is my view, it's how I feel about the books and the movies and it may or may not be similar to other people's view. 

There was one little thing I wished the book had. In Deathly Hollows Part 2, when Harry, Ron and Hermione get into Hogwarts, the students are called in the Great Hall. I loved that scene. And I know very few people agree with me, seeing as how we know the truth about Snape and Harry talked badly with him. But I loved when the students were almost marching down the stairs. I think that was the most amazing way of showing how Voldemort changed Hogwarts. Like I said, it's all about tastes and likes and dislikes. But that scene was amazing for me.

I love the books, I love the movies. I'm not sad anymore. I was sad it ended, but now I'm just happy I was able to see it all. (That's not to say that the crazy, small child inside me doesn't wish for more, but that inner child is never satisfied, you know? LOL)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...