Saturday, December 28, 2013

2014 Bookish Resolutions

Hey people! I hope you had a fantastic Christmas and that Santa brought you all the goodies you wished for.

So, we all make New Year's resolutions. I tell myself every year I will not, but the last week of December starts and I'm back to planning stuff for next year. I don't know, maybe I'm just bored or something, but I keep making them. I thought that instead of making resolutions for my personal and/or professional life (those resolutions are a tad boring and they get so repetitive) I'd stick to bookish resolutions this year.


  • Read from the TBR pile more
Since I decided not to make any more requests for ARCs, this should be doable. I plan on making a dent in my 1000+ mountain of TBR next year. Hopefully, it will count for something, though I believe that list is a descendant of Hydra.
 photo hydra-head-split-o_zps63b06917.gif


  • Lower thy expectations
This one is a bit harder to keep, but I've noticed the bigger the hype around a book and the more a book is loved by most of my fellow bloggers, the higher my expectations. I will try in 2014 to not let my expectations get so big.

  • Write down reviews as soon as I finish reading a book
This is something that I never do and while most of the times it's not problematic and I can remember most of what happened during the book I'm trying to review, I've had some problems recently. Granted, I've been under a lot of stress what with my exams and my dissertation, but I still want to make a habit of writing the review right after I finish the book.
  • Schedule posts more often
I know, I'm terrible with this, but I promise I'll get better. I swear!
  • Read the books I already own before buying new ones
Actually, this could go hand in hand with the first resolution. I figure the first step in making a dent in my TBR pile would be to actually read the books I've already bought, the ones that are patiently waiting on my shelves and that are silently begging me to read them. So I'll do that this year.
  • While reading, take notes that actually make sense
I have found that taking notes during reading helps me write better reviews. I didn't think it was possible, at first, but I've tried it and it actually works. HOWEVER. I actually need to take notes that make sense. I scheduled a review for a book I read a few weeks ago and I found it rather difficult to understand what the hell I was talking about when I wrote certain things down. So maybe I'll get a notebook and use it and write down something that is easy to understand. Maybe even write down page number, start of the paragraph, stuff like that.

This is the list that I came up with and I want to meet every goal I for myself, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. What about you? Did you make any resolutions for 2014? I'd love to hear about them.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...