Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Comic Book Tuesday #1: Aladdin: Legacy of the Lost #1

Last week I talked about how I discovered comic books and how I'm slowly (but surely) becoming an avid fan of this form of literature. This is going to be a weekly feature in which I'll share the stories I discover in my new bookish adventure and I'll hope it will help you discover new books. Keep in mind that some of these books are freebies. However this does not in any way influence my review or my enjoyment of the books.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22602982-aladdin

Blurb:
From the mystical city of Shambhalla to the ends of the Earth comes a tale of magic, mystery and the motivations of power. It is the world of Ala ad-Din, better known as Aladdin. A thief, gambler, liar and cheat, Aladdin’s reckless soul falls under the eye of the sorcerer Qassim. Qassim has spent his life scouring the sands for the Dreaming Jewel. This powerful lost relic could enable Qassim to steal the magic of the Djinn of the Lamp and reshape the world in his own malicious design. But to do so, he requires a mystical ability carried within Aladdin's blood... Power that not even Aladdin himself knows of.




The story of Aladdin has been told and re-told so many times and in so many mediums that for me it is always a challenge to try to read a new version of it. I am curious about how artists will interpret his story, but I'm always trying to keep my expectations a bit low.

Obviously, some of the themes in this version of the myth are familiar: the villain wants to find the magic lamp and control the Djinn imprisoned inside it, and the thief, a young man named Aladdin is the only one able to get the lamp. What was new was the darker, slightly dangerous side of Aladdin. This wasn't the charming young man Jasmine fell in love with in the animated version. He was angrier in a way, more troubled and less charming. I have a feeling the Djinn himself is not similar to the beloved Genie.

The art is beautiful, with gorgeous colors and very interesting details. I really want to see a paperback version, just to see if the colors are as beautiful in real life as they are on screen. I'm also really interested in the rest of the story, so I will definitely check out the next issues.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...