Monday, March 19, 2012

Book Review: Curbchek by Zach Fortier

Curbchek 



Author: Zach Fortier
My Rating: 5 cups
Source: review copy provided by the author
Blurb (from Goodreads):



Curbchek is the story of a damaged cop, Zach Fortier. Fortier worked in the police department for the city where he grew up. One foot in the world of the cops, courts and legal system. The other in the world of gangs, drugs, thugs and street violence. Where the laws and rules are made by the strongest, the schemers and the most brutal. Read about the transformation of Fortier from a green rookie to a damaged paranoid veteran seeing danger in every situation. Follow along as he walks this tight rope. Trying to make difference, breaking the laws he promised to enforce. This is a story of law and order uncensored.


Curbchek is one of those books I couldn't put down. The raw honesty I could feel in each and every single one of the stories made me want to keep reading. There were moments where I laughed out loud, because some of the scenes were quite funny, moments when I cringed because of the imagery of some scenes, moments when I was sad or even angry.

At times, the violence was a little overwhelming, but I think that's what makes the book seem so fresh and enjoyable. You read so many books with cops, see so many movies and TV shows, but they somehow seem staged, sugarcoated, censured. Curbchek is so different and it's a book that I believe sticks with you because it's so different.

What I loved most about this book was the fact that it felt real. I didn't think for even a moment "yeah, right, that can't happen" like I usually do with other books with police officers. I think the author gives a unique perspective on police work, sort of a "behind the scenes" look.

Another thing that made me enjoy the books was the "colorful" language. You know how crime dramas usually portray cops as talking so clean? That's something that makes me want to scream, because it doesn't feel right or true. Curbchek is entirely different and I liked that.

I think it's not a book for the faint of heart, but I think it's one of those "Must Read" books. Curbchek is followed by Streetcreds and I will definitely check it out.



Rocked my world photo Image9.png
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...