Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Book Review: Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Series: Dark-Hunter #23
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: September 3rd 2013
My Rating:5 cups
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Just when you thought doomsday was over...

Centuries ago Acheron saved the human race by imprisoning an ancient evil bent on absolute destruction. Now that evil has been unleashed and it is out for revenge.

As the twin to Acheron, Styxx hasn’t always been on his brother’s side. They’ve spent more centuries going at each other’s throats than protecting their backs. Now Styxx has a chance to prove his loyalty to his brother, but only if he’s willing to trade his life and future for Acheron’s.

The Atlantean goddess of Wrath and Misery, Bethany was born to right wrongs. But it was never a task she relished. Until now. She owes Acheron a debt that she vows to repay, no matter what it takes. He will join their fellow gods in hell and nothing is going to stop her.

But things are never what they seem, and Acheron is no longer the last of his line. Styxx and Acheron must put aside their past and learn to trust each other or more will suffer.

Yet it’s hard to risk your own life for someone who once tried to take yours, even when it's your own twin, and when loyalties are skewed and no one can be trusted, not even yourself, how do you find a way back from the darkness that wants to consume the entire world? One that wants to start by devouring your very soul?

Note: I had a different review planned for today, but I honestly can't wait to talk about this book, so I did some rescheduling.

 photo Image1.png


To say that I was surprised when I first heard that Styxx will be getting a book is to put it mildly. I was somewhat angry. Oh, I was delighted to get a book about one of the big guys in the Dark Hunter universe, don't get me wrong. But let's be honest, those of you who've read the entire series know that Styxx was never one of the good guys. He helped Ash once and then that was it. Then Sherri posted some snippets/teasers and I felt like I needed this book more and more. And then finally the day arrived and I've been an emotional wreck ever since I finished reading the book.

If you think you hate Ash's relatives, wait until you read Styxx! I cried so hard during this book. I laughed a little, but mostly I got my heart broken by this amazing character. 

Styxx surprised me a lot. I never thought I'd get to love another Dark Hunter character as much as I love Acheron. But I now do. Styxx is one of those silent heroes, the ones you really don't expect to act like heroes or to even become one. And he's hard to figure out. You think you know what he'll do in certain scenes, but what he does is so selfless I just wanted to hug the guy. There were scenes where I felt like he was still an innocent child, no matter the horrors he had to face. 

Here's the great part of reading this book and why I can safely say Sherrilyn is my favorite author. If you take away the horror, the pain, and the suffering, this book helps prove that there are two sides to everything. If you remember how certain characters acted in Acheron and compare to how they acted in Styxx you'll see how different they really are from another perspective. There were certain characters I wanted to slap so hard in Styxx. And if you have the heart to compare the twins' stories, you'll see why Styxx had it harder than Ash in so many ways. Not the past, I'd never compare their pasts, but in the present days.

As expected with a Sherrilyn Kenyon book, there will be a lot of surprises in Styxx. Some you'll see right away, for some you'll have to do some digging to discover. Let me just say that after this book I truly believe that Chronicles of Nick should be read if you're reading the Dark Hunter series. I feel like the universe is changing and I think both series are starting to become very connected. I know, one is in the past and one in the present, but to me they make sense together. Then again, you'll have more questions than answers if you do read both of them.

I loved the book. I will say that so far, it's my favorite in the entire series. If you're like me and you love having some musical background while reading and you're feeling extremely daring and brave, Sherrilyn has shared a book playlist on her website (and let's face it, if you ever checked the book playlists she has, you know her musical taste is amazing). Just go to Styxx book page and you'll find it there. I didn't check it out until after I read the book (I wasn't feeling terribly brave at the time I started reading the book) but I did after I finished it and let me tell you it fits the book completely.

If you're having doubts about reading this book, don't. Take a deep breath and read it. I promise you won't be disappointed. Just be sure to have a full box of tissues and maybe a comfy pillow that you can hug or maybe punch when you feel the need and you're all set.


Rocked my world photo Image9.png
Familiar waters photo Image19.png


5 comments:

  1. YAY, I'm so happy you loved this! It's waiting for me on my kindle, and I'm really looking forward to it.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it as soon as you can! It's simply amazing.

      Delete
  2. I'm not going to read this review yet since I don't want to be spoiled on anything. :) But I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to get to this book, although I don't have many good feelings towards Styxx at the moment -- hopefully the books leading up to his build him up a bit better in my mind after just having read Acheron's book. I know he's different now that he's had Acheron's memory, but the wound for me (having just read Ash's book) is still too fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he is different, but you're right, reading about him after just finishing Acheron's book would be bad. But I'm sure that when the time comes you'll love his book

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...