Monday, February 11, 2019

Down The TBR Hole #12

Down The TBH Hole @ Ruby's Books

Hello dear book lovers and welcome to another post in the Down The TBR Hole feature hosted by the awesome Lia.

Today we're starting this post with 2843 books. It's a wonder that I only added 1 book in the two weeks that have passed since I last did a TBR clean-up, but I will not jinx it! I'll be good and I won't even hope to get under 2835 books today. (Okay I will try it, but shhhhh! Don't let my TBR hear you!!!)

I decided to look at 22 books today. My Goodreads shelves are set to show 20 books per page, so I wanted to be able to do a page a day from my TBR starting next week, and I had 2 books left from the previous page to be able to do just that. I like my order, guys! Okay, let's not sit here chit-chatting, and let's get to why we're here today.


  • The Irish Devil by Diane Whiteside - Once upon a time I was very much into historical erotic stories, and that's when I added this book on my TBR. I am very much intrigued by the way various eras in a country's history are explored through the lens of romance, and even today I still very much love historical erotic romances. That being said, there's something about the blurb of this book that doesn't really call out to me as much as I wished it did. Because, however, I'm very hopeful, I will keep my eye on this book, so I'm not eliminating it completely. Verdict: Moved to the maybe pile
  • Mortal Seductions by Allyson James - I read the first book in the series way, waaay too long ago and I basically don't remember anything. That being said, I'm excited to read this book because not only is it about gods, demigods, and menages, but it has Paul Marron on the cover. And let me tell you something, people. There has never been a book with Paul Marron on the cover that I disliked. Ever. Verdict: It stays
  • Wedding Favors by Nikita Black, Allyson James, Sheri Whitefeather - This anthology sounds very, very interesting and promising. Not only it include a sequel to Mortal Seductions, it also has New Orleans as a backdrop and I love that. I think these stories are going to be great, so I'm definitely going to read this book. Verdict: It stays
  • One Lucky Cowboy by Carolyn Brown - I have no memory of this book, but the blurb sounds promising. Like a few books on today's list though, I have no idea why I added the second book and not the first one as well on my TBR. There are cowboys in the picture though, so I think it's safe to say I'm going to be reading this book.  Verdict: It stays
  • A Beautiful Evil by Kelly Keaton - I actually read the first book in this series back when RivetedLit was called PulseIt and I really loved it. I need to get series and read it all. Verdict: It stays

  • Saving Hope by Margaret Daley - This is one of the books I tried many times to pick up, especially since I had an eARC from Netgalley, but for some reason I never managed to get into it, even though the premise sounds so interesting. I think it was always a "not being in the right mood" situation, but this year I'm planning on reading more backlist books, and this one is definitely on my TBR for Beat the Backlist challenge. Verdict: It stays
  • Slayers Kiss by Cassi Carver - This is definitely my cup of tea, since we all know I love me some hot fallen angels and awesome heroines. This however is a strange situation, since this series was published under Samhain Publishing, which as we know shut down a few years ago. So now the question is if I can find the paperbacks on any second hand bookstore out there or if the author can and/or will re-release the books by herself or with another publishing house. Until I can find the books, I'll add this one to my maybe shelf. Verdict: Moved to the maybe shelf
  • Shadow's Claim by Kresley Cole - Now don't look at me with an evil stare, you all know I love me some Immortals After Dark. When this book came out I was still a tad hungover from Lothaire. Come on, the guy is awesome, even if a little bit evil (and yes, oka,y a few screws loose). However, I'm planning on reading this book for Romanceopoly this year. Verdict: It stays
  • Entangled by Nikki Jefford - I don't know why I haven't read this book yet. It has everything I need. Witches, resurrections, evil twin, and, most importantly, magic that goes wrong. Actually I lied, I do know what has been keeping me back: it's the "Sabrina the Teenage Witch meets Freaky Friday" tagline in the synopsis. I loved both the TV show and the movie, and I've watched them more than once growing up, so I'm scared of this book not being as good as it promises to be. For now I'm moving this one to the maybe shelf, at least until I get the courage to read it or decide to let it go. Verdict: Moved to the maybe shelf
  • Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey - This is one of those books that I should have read by now, I know this. Will try to correct that pretty soon. Verdict: It stays

  • Bet Your Bones by Jeanne Matthews - This is another book that I've been meaning to read but couldn't find the right mood to get into it. February seems like a good month to read it though, since there are two readathons I'm participating in and what better time to read it than the present?  Verdict: It Stays
  • The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood - This book ended up on my TBR because of two reasons: vampires and Venice. Venice is one of my favorite Italian cities I've visited and I remember being obsessed with reading as many books set in Venice as possible, because I love exploring a city through a story, and then be able to actually visit the town in question and try to discover where the characters may have lived and where the plot could have unfolded. And we know how much I love vampires. Going through the synopsis again, however, and trying to ignore those two elements, this doesn't sound like the story for me. Verdict: It goes
  • The Forever Girl by Rebecca Hamilton - I don't remember adding this book, but like with many others, I feel like this is a book I wouldn't enjoy properly at this stage. Maybe in the future. Verdict: It goes
  • Dark Waters by Shannon Mayer - For a premise so compelling, I fear this book is too short, and I've seen so many reviewers mention that the story is a little bit rushed. I usually don't enjoy rushed stories, so because of that I'm not going to be reading this book anytime soon. Verdict: It goes
  • Seeds of Discovery by Breeana Puttroff - I don't know why I haven't yet read this story, especially since Kindle app is saying I have this book. So I should try to get to it this year. Verdict: It stays

  • The Emerald Atlas by John Stevens - I remember adding this book to my TBR mostly because I liked the idea of three siblings trying to discover the secrets of the house they're living in. However, something always got in the way of me and this book, and for some reason I don't think I'm going to read it soon. Verdict: It goes
  • Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes by Sue Watson - I don't really remember this book, but I can tell why it ended up on my TBR. I wish I could say I'm as interested in it as I was before, but I'm not. I know the majority of the reviews are positive, but there's something about the synopsis that isn't really doing it for me at this moment. Verdict: It goes
  • Fire Baptized by Kenya Wright - The blurb for this book sounds very interesting, but also a tad confusing. The reviews of some bloggers I trust aren't that stellar, but I am still intrigued enough to keep it around for a second glance. Verdict: Moved to the maybe shelf
  • Anew by Chelsea Fine - This book sounds really interesting, but the love triangle aspect is what has been keeping me from reading it. I may give this one a chance though, just because I love stories where one character experiences memory loss. Verdict: It stays
  • All's Fair in Vanity's War by Elizabeth Marx - I'll be honest with you guys, this was a total cover love situation, paired with my love of fairy tales. I can't really explain why only the second book of this series is on my TBR though. Anyway, looking through the blurbs of both the first and second books, I see something about witches, magical realms and Salem. So I am going to keep this book on my TBR and I'll try to bump it up a little bit, as well.  Verdict: It stays

  • The Fallen Star by Jessica Sorensen -  This is another one of those cases where had I read the book back when I first heard about it I probably would have liked it, but now I'm not so sure. I feel like I've outgrown the need to relive my high school experience through books, and I don't think this would be the book for me at this stage in my life. Verdict: It goes
  • Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake - I should have already read this book by now, I realize that. I can't say I'm going to read it soon, but I will. Verdict: It stays
***
Final count:

Moved to the maybe pile: 4/20
Kept: 12 /20
Eliminated: 6/20

This brings my TBR down to 2833 books, which is unexpected. Remember, I wasn't really all that hopeful to get under 2835 books, but I did it *throws confetti in the air* Okay now that I was good, I'm off to read. Happy reading guys!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...