Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book Review: Lust On The Rocks by Dianne Venetta

Currently Reading




Author: Dianne Venetta
Source: copy provided by the author for review
Blurb: (from Goodreads)


She has what he needs, and he won't stop until he gets it. Trouble is, what begins as a matter of death, becomes a matter of life.

One case away from partnership, Samantha Rawlings is forced to share her high-profile case with a sexy younger man, whose eyes are on a different prize. In the best interests of her client, Sam opens the door to his strategy. Turns out, a little too far...

Victor Marin has ulterior motives. The defendant in her case holds the key to his revenge and his last chance for justice. But as he chases old demons, he uncovers a powerful woman with no inhibitions, one he wants to possess for himself. But decidedly single, Sam wants no part.

Until Vic walks away.


The first thing I liked about this book was the fact that both the hero and the heroine were lawyers. It's been some time since I've read a book about a lawyer. And I enjoyed the coaching of the witnesses, seeing how they tried to figure out what the best way to question a witness was, who was better at captivating the jury, every little detail about the case.

Sam Rawlings is a very interesting character. She's a very good lawyer in my opinion. She's also sarcastic, stubborn, fun, sexy. I liked that about her. She's a very complex character. She's also the oldest sister and she had to help raise her brothers and sisters. So she's clearly used to being in control of the situation and to take some or all decisions. I think this last part affects her relationships, because she has that "I'm older, so I know better" attitude sometimes. I like the fact that in the end, she admits when she's wrong.

Vic is an easy guy to like. He's fun, sexy, smart, sweet, a very good listener and a good friend. His past is really painful and it made me really sad. It also made me like him more, because for someone who's been through so much at an early age, he wasn't bitter or angry at the world.

There's also a pretty interesting subplot involving Sam's younger sister, Jess. The subject of the unexpected pregnancy wasn't disturbing. It was the way it was treated that was a little more outside of my comfort zone. I understand part of Sam's reasoning, but it wasn't her choice. At times I felt that just because she didn't have a desire to become a mother all the women around her should be the same. It probably isn't something that crossed Sam's mind, but it was the way I understood her.

But the subplot aside, this book was very good, fun, light, sexy, romantic. It was a good read.


My Rating:
I loved it photo Image10.png
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...