Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Oh I like this one! *rubs hands* Ok. Before I start, I want to let you know that I'm not criticizing the readers and the fans of the books I'm going to talk about. I know a lot of people talk trash about someone based on their tastes and that's not what I'm going to do. I'm simply saying what I think about the books, nothing more and nothing less. Just because you're fans of these books doesn't make you inferior or superior to me, it just means you like something other than me and that's fine, because we're all unique and we have different opinions.

So back to the topic. I love vampires. With all my heart and soul and I'm not ashamed to say that I'll read (or try to read, anyway) all books with vampires. Call me obsessed it you like. In my opinion vampires can be sexy, fun, strong, dangerous, terrifying, beautiful or ugly. But they cannot sparkle. I'm sorry, but in my head the sparkle takes away something from the myth of the terrifying creatures thirsty for blood. And I grew up in a country that has so many horror stories with vampires, so it's difficult to accept sparkly creatures as part of the scary myth. So no Twilight for this girl. I tried to read it, but I didn't enjoy it.

Then there's the second book that I consider overrated. Now, if you're writing a horror story about a vampire, shouldn't there BE a vampire in it? It's a book that I didn't manage to finish reading, because the horror in it was missing for the first 250 pages. I'm talking about Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I know a lot of people love his books, but after my first go at his work, I'm not sure I want to try again. Yes, I do have a high tolerance for how much gore and suspense and gross a book can have. But I didn't feel any suspense or any indication for that matter that there was something wrong or scary in Salem's Lot. Where was the big, bad, scary vampire? Probably in the last pages, but I felt like the book was so slow, I wasn't intrigued enough to turn another page. I realize it's one of his early stories, so maybe if I tried reading one of his newest novels I'd be surprised. Do I want to? I seriously don't know. If it's horror, it should at least make me think my heart's pounding faster than usual, but all I was thinking the whole time I tried reading it was "ok, where's the bad guy?". I was actually more a little bit more scared by Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief than Salem's Lot.

So these are the two books that I consider overrated. Like I said, if you like these books, then good for you. I didn't and that's that.

What is a book that's overrated in your opinion?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...