Thursday, June 28, 2012

Book Review: Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong

Author: Kelley Armstrong
Series: Women of the Otherworld #4
My Rating: 5 cups
Publisher: Random House of Canada
Publication Date: January 26, 2010
Blurb: (from Goodreads)

Meet the smart, sexy — supernatural — women of the otherworld. This is not your mother’s coven...

Kelley Armstrong returns with the eagerly awaited follow-up to Dime Store Magic. Paige Winterbourne, a headstrong young woman haunted by a dark legacy, is now put to the ultimate test as she fights to save innocents from the most insidious evil of all.. . .

In the aftermath of her mother’s murder, Paige broke with the elite, ultraconservative American Coven of Witches. Now her goal is to start a new Coven for a new generation. But while Paige pitches her vision to uptight thirty-something witches in business suits, a more urgent matter commands her attention.

Someone is murdering the teenage offspring of the underworld’s most influential Cabals — a circle of families that makes the mob look like amateurs. And none is more powerful than the Cortez Cabal, a faction Paige is intimately acquainted with. Lucas Cortez, the rebel son and unwilling heir, is none other than her boyfriend. But love isn’t blind, and Paige has her eyes wide open as she is drawn into a hunt for an unnatural-born killer. Pitted against shamans, demons, and goons, it’s a battle chilling enough to make a wild young woman grow up in a hurry. If she gets the chance.

This second book about Paige and Lucas was so great! I loved reading it. Besides the paranormal elements, I felt like I was reading a very good mystery novel. There where a lot of other great things that stood out, but the mystery killer part was the most important one for me.

I liked seeing Lucas and his family play a bigger part in this novel. While he was present in Dime Store Magic, I felt like Lucas was still a huge mystery to me. Not that it bothered me, but I wanted to know more about him. So learning about him, his family and, ultimately, about how the Cabals and their world works, was one of the reasons I loved this novel.

I loved the suspense, the element of danger that this story had. Also, I loved the fact that I couldn't figure out who was the killer, until the very end, when the killer was revealed. I had lots of weird theories about his identity, but I never felt like I had a good idea about him. So that's what made it a good mystery for me *shrug*

One of the things I liked is that we get to see some old friends, like Adam (*swoon*), Cassandra, Jeremy and his Pack. We also meet Savannah's mom, Eve. I didn't know what to think about her when she was in a scene. I was convinced she was just as bad as the other characters thought she was, that she surprised me.

I loved the book and I can only hope we get to be in Paige's POV again soon. And yes, I'm still waiting for Savannah to grow up so that she can hook up with a certain hot male (*wink*).

Can't wait to read Haunted and be in Eve's POV and learn more about her, how she was before her death and how she is now. And also, I'm getting sadder with each and every book I read that the series is coming to an end *sniffle*.


2 comments:

  1. I wish our Public Library would get this series. I just read her YA books, Darkest Powers & Darkness Rising and they are really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love this series. I'm just sorry I waited so long to read it :P I will read her YA books someday. First I want to finish reading this series.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...