Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Besides Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings there has been one book that changed the way I saw things at a time. I remember I was about 12 when I first read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Now, for a girl who doesn't like classical books, it seems unlikely that this book is, to this day, one of my favorite books I've read over the years (and there have been a few since then).

The thing that this book changed for me was the actual reading experience. At the time I first read it my English wasn't what you'd call "good".It was terrible, actually. But I remember I wanted to read it in English, desperately so. I have no idea what made me want to read it in English, but there you have it. I also remember the cover. It looked something like this, only my copy was a shade darker, or so I remember it.


See how he's leaning over her, either to whisper a secret or to take a better look at her, now that she's sleeping? *sigh* I loved the cover! Anyway, I remember I struggled while reading it, but I made it to the end. I remember rereading the book in my mother language years later and feeling a little...cheated? The translation was perfect, flawless, but it still wasn't the same. So you could say that this book changed the way I look at the idea of reading translated books. Of course, if the original language is one that I don't know, I'll read the translation :P

But other than that, I can't say a book changed my opinion about a specific subject.

What about you? Did you ever read a book that changed your opinion about something?

2 comments:

  1. I love classics but I have no patience to read them. The writing, conversation, etc is dated and a great way to keep the zzzz's coming... BUT I love Austen stories however I'll just stick to screen adaptations, thank you :)

    Talk Supe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the movie adaptations are way more tolerable than the actual books. The books are just either waaaaaay to long or the writing style is...well, let's say weird. I'll stick to the more contemporary authors, thank you very much :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...