Sunday, July 5, 2020

TV Madness: Bay Yanlış Bölüm 1 & 2 Review





Genre: Rom - Com | Channel: Fox Türkiye | Director: Deniz Yorulmazer
 Starring: Can YamanÖzge Gürel
Summary (source: IMDB):
Özgür (Can Yaman) is a very wealthy restaurant owner and living a sloppy but happy go lucky life, and does not believe in love. Ezgi (Özge Gürel) is now tired of wrong relationships and is determined to have a proper relationship and get married. Seeing that Ezgi is not successful in the relationship matters, Özgür begins to mentor her about relationships and gives her tactics to get the man she likes.

If you're following me on social media you know I've discovered a new passion: Turkish TV shows, also known as Dizis. It all started because of the quarantine and me discovering the romantic comedy Erkenci Kuş (Early Bird in English). I fell in love with the rom-com genre all over again because of that show, and when I heard that Can Yaman, the actor who played the hero in this show, had a new Dizi coming up this summer I knew I had to watch it. And because I truly adore the show I've decided to share my love for it on my blog. Today I'll be reviewing the first 2 episodes, but starting next week I'll be reviewing one episode per week.

Let's get started, shall we?

The premise for Bay Yanlış (Mr. Wrong in English) is one that I truly adore. On one side you have Ezgi (Özge Gürel), a girl in search for the perfect man to marry, while on the other side you have Özgür (Can Yaman), who is very much uninterested in long-term romantic relationships. Ezgi is the type of heroine that falls in love easy and hard, thinking that each man she's with is the one. Özgür doesn't believe in love, believing firmly that love is actually just hormones messing with your brain. It's an opposites attract type of story and I am here for it.

We get to meet Ezgi in what can only be described as her worst moments of her life. In the first 10 minutes or so of the show she finds out that her boyfriend of 3 years is cheating on her, she crashes the company car, she not only isn't up for a promotion that, in all honesty, should be hers, but she's also fired, she is informed by her now ex-boyfriend that she has to move out of the house they're living in, and to top it all off she gets hit by a car. There's also a moment before she gets fired when it starts raining heavily on what should actually be a sunny summer day, just to add insult to injury. Guys, this is not her year. At all. What I love about Ezgi though is that throughout all of this, she keeps being optimistic that life will be good for her soon, that all her dreams will come true, and that the man of her dreams is out there if only she dares to search for him.

Özgür is the complete opposite of Ezgi. He is a successful bar-restaurant owner, he has the cars, the clothes, the fancy apartment, the jewelry to show it, and he is one of the most sought after bachelors in town. He is a ladies man. He is so determined to live the single man life though, that I truly believe he was heartbroken at some point and is now running from any woman that may make him fall in love. In fact, the one-night stands he's had so far in the first episode have turned out to be disasters. The first lady was convinced that a one-night stand actually means "true love", while the other one, a reporter, decided to write a harsh article on him once her night with him didn't turn into something more. In her defense though, the previous lady turned up at his house and kicked the reporter lady out of the house, forcing her to do the walk of shame wearing just a giant T-shirt, so one might understand her anger.

What I loved a lot about the first episode was how it showed the differences between these two characters. While Ezgi may appear as the perfect heroine, once the story picks up, you realize that in fact she's really flawed. Her biggest flaw is believing that everything a man tells her is the truth, believing that every man is honest with her. Actually her biggest flaw might be that she has no functioning asshole radar to speak of, not that I think about it. And that is something that Özgür points out rather soon after they meet, showing her that she probably shouldn't go believing everything she hears, which is an important lesson for her.

Source: IMDB
Özgür's flaw is that he also doesn't recognize the crazy ladies he hooks up with. He is relying on his dog's willingness to "be mean" and growl at the ladies in the morning, which is a hilarious scene by the way, but that dog, Tesla, is the cutest, most lovable dogs ever. Just look at him!! I mean look Tesla, of course. He's such a cute dog! And I also noticed how well trained he is, and how well he works with Can, and I love that.

I laughed out loud at the banter between Ezgi and Özgür. They are bickering in almost every scene, and they can't help but make fun of the other one, which is catnip for me. Özgür comes up with the idea to pretend to be a couple for a night in order to keep his mom from introducing him to every single woman he knows, and in return he'll teach her the "rules" on how to land the perfect guy for her. What could possibly go wrong with this plan?

In the second episode we see Özgür teaching Ezgi how to be "the winner" in the love game between her and the man she's after, Serdar. I adored how he coached her into being sexy and flirty. Let's face it, the girl has no game. None. While Özgür seems to do nothing but breathe and it seems like he's flirting. Here I do think it's the actor himself, cause some men are just natural flirts without trying and without it being creepy. But that's just me. Anyway.

We get more hilarious shenanigans with our main characters, and some really cool side plots. One of them that I'm super excited about is his best friend, Ozan, falls madly in love at first sight with her best friend, Deniz. There are definitely sparks between the two of them, but while Ozan is just a ray of sunshine and adorably awkward when it comes to her, Deniz has this whole "I'm dating my career, stay away from me" vibe, so it's going to be interesting to see him win her over.

Source: IMDB
We also get to see more of Özgür's nice guy side in episode 2. He's not a bad guy, people, he's just desperately trying not to fall in love and have his heart broken. He helps a drunk Ezgi get home (again, because he did it in the first episode, when he also made sure she was safe while she was doing some pretty outrageous stuff while drunk), and he defends her when she bumps into her idiot ex in a store. Of course, he deflects any and all compliments by trying to piss her off, which of course he manages because he knows which buttons to push, but I think secretly he enjoys having someone notice him.

The second episode ends when Özgür and Ezgi find out that, while their private deal has ended, because of a misunderstanding, they are actually work partners. Well, more like he's her new boss. Their faces in that last scene was hilarious and I am so excited for next week's episode.

I will say something. I was fully committed to watch this show just for Can Yaman's acting, having seen him in Erkenci Kuş, but I adore Özge Gürel in this role. I think this is the role for her. She is funny, she manages to show just how awkward someone can be when trying to flirt when they know absolutely nothing about it, she is beautiful and I love her physical comedy a lot.

All in all, if you're looking for a good summer show, this is the one for you. You can find the full episodes on the show's official YouTube channels, with translations is many, many languages, including English. Or if you want, you can live stream on the channel's official website. Honestly, even if I don't speak Turkish, I have a ton of fun during the live stream, and I get to focus on the acting, which let me tell you, is fantastic.

Let me know if you're watching this show or if you are planning to watch it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...