Thursday, July 9, 2020

TV Madness: Sen Çal Kapımı Bölüm 1 Review


Genre: Rom - Com | Channel: Fox Türkiye | Director: Ender Mihlar, Yusuf Pirhasan
 Starring: Hande Erçel, Kerem Bürsin
Summary (source: IMDB):
Eda Yildiz won a scholarship to study the last year abroad while she was the first in the department at the university, but when her scholarship is stopped at the last minute, Eda's life is turned upside down, she is expelled from the university and remains a high school graduate. For months, she tries unsuccessfully to reach Serkan Bolat, who cut her scholarship. She starts working in her aunt's flower shop. One day, when she finds out where Serkan Bolat will be, she confronts him face to face. They have to spend a day handcuffed to each other. Eda's impulsiveness, hatred of each other, and the irresistible attraction between them drag them into a game where they will have to play for a long time.
July is officially the best thing to ever happen to 2020. When I wrote my Bay Yanlış review I knew there was a chance I'd have another TV Madness out this week. I am here to confirm that suspicion. Because I just watched the premiere of Sen Çal Kapımı and I am in love. Yes, in case you're wondering, I'm writing this review right after I finished watching the show. I just cannot wait for tomorrow (which is when you guys will be reading this). 

I was fully prepared to watch the show just for Ayşe Üner Kutlu, the writer of the show. Ayşe is actually the original writer of Erkenci Kuş, and her episodes (1 - 17, 39 - 46) are just fantastic. That isn't to say the other episodes aren't good, but Ayşe knows her romance. As an avid romance reader myself, I hold most of the romance shows I watch to a very high standard. Which is why I knew I was going to watch whatever it is that she wrote, and probably even love it. Well... I was right!


If you've read my tweets about the show, you can tell the exact moment I fell in love with this show: the minute Eda woke up, which is also probably the first minute of the show. She is probably the first fictional woman I've ever seen to have accurate morning hair on TV. EVER. In 32 years. I fell in love just then. I love that we get a voice-over telling us about Eda's life, and how she got to the point where she is at the start of the show.

We're introduced with the notion that Serkan is a bad man from the beginning, through Eda's hatred toward him. And I'll be honest, his introduction in the show paints him as...I don't want to say constipated, but definitely a hardass. He does have a very nice car, and I will be honest with you, no matter what, I love him because of that car. I mean I love the car, therefore I love him. It's a thing, don't argue with me.

Eda is impulsive, she has absolutely no filter, she says anything and everything that goes through her head, and her fuse is very short. Did I mention she's impulsive? I love her. She manages to both impress and infuriate Serkan in the same breath multiple times throughout this first episode.

Serkan on the other hand is just a guy that hates losing, and he hates making mistakes. To be fair, it wasn't his mistake what happened to Eda's scholarship, and while he does try to make things right, it is a little late. She basically wants nothing to do with him, and she's not afraid to let him know that, in front of all of his employees, no less. Employees who, after that epic fight scene, love her, because apparently she's the only person in the world who's ever told him off and had the last word in a fight with him.

One of themes in this episode was that Eda never tells him her name, so by the end of the first episode, Serkan still calls her "ma'am" or "lady", which I adored. He had the chance to find out her name, because she forgot her bag in his car, but he didn't take it. Which makes me love him, of course, because while he was debating looking at her ID, he remembers what Eda told him about not being worthy of knowing her name. Ayşe Üner Kutlu, ladies and gentlemen. I...yeah.

For me the scene that made me fell in love with the Eda/Serkan couple happened in the second half of the episode. Eda agrees to work her bestie's flight attendant shift for a private plane company, and it turns out it's on Serkan's flight. She realizes quickly that he is the one on the plane, and she tries to keep him from seeing her and hides in the flight attendant compartment, but she's claustrophobic and has a panic attack. Serkan goes in search for the flight attendant, and finds Eda in the middle of said panic attack. Guys!! Serkan helps her get through it. He holds her hands, he helps her regain her breath, he's so gentle with her!! I am a puddle of goo right now just remembering that scene.

Through a weird twist of fate, Serkan ends up lying about who Eda is, telling his ex girlfriend that she's actually his fiance. So now we get to the most interesting part of the episode. Because Serkan decides to strike a deal with Eda, where she pretends to be his fiance for the next 2 months, while he swears to restore her scholarship. At first she says no, but after being dumped by her actual boyfriend, and then insulted even further by the idiotic guy, she decides to crash Serkan's speech by kissing his face off. No really, she does, just take a look at this video.



As you can expect, I already adore this show. I want for it to never end. The actors have a fantastic chemistry together, and the storyline is solid. Ayşe, the writer, could really do no wrong, and I am very curious to see her take on my two of favorite tropes, enemies to lovers and fake relationships. The promo for bölüm 2 looks awesome and I am already excited.

Let me know if you guys plan to watch it. At the time I'm writing this I'm not sure if the producers have put up English subs for the entire episode. But even if they haven't go watch this show. You don't need to know the language to enjoy this show, guys, it's just that good.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...